News Updates

9th June 2022

Download new signage from the Food Standards Agency to signpost your customers to allergen information.

 Allergy and Tolerance Sign including Coeliac information

3rd March 2022

Selling food products to customers in Europe? There is support available. No matter the size of your business, how much you export or where in the UK you are based. The Export Support Service is your first point of contact if you have questions about exporting to Europe. Visit đŸ’» www.gov.uk/ask-export-support-team or call 📞 0300 303 8955. 

Click here to download common Q&As about Export Service Support


28th February 2022

Guidance is available to help food businesses with the new Calorie Labelling Regulations 2021

Click on the link guidance for calorie labelling in the out of home sector

Or head to my blog to find out if you are exempt and if not what you need to do to comply. A simple guide to the new calorie labelling requirements

The Regulations will be enforced on 6th April 2022.

The Food (Promotion and Placement) (England) Regulations 2021 will be enforced from 1st October 2022.

This is part of the government’s obesity agenda and  in response to the association of high sugar, fat and salt foods with impulse buys.

Prepacked food which is specified in the regulations including soft drinks, sweet and savoury snacks must not be promoted or placed in specified areas in the store generally if the business has more than 50 employees (see exceptions).

Click on the link for more information 

Food Promotion and Placement Regulations 2021

Food Safety FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions – helping to make sense of food safety.

Food Allergies have been described as the modern epidemic, thought to be due to several factors including, increased public awareness and reporting of allergen incidents and complaints; increase in the consumption of processed food and ready meals and eating new and alternative ingredients in our diet.

In legislation ‘Gluten Free, is defined as <20ppm (parts per million) of gluten in a product; and ‘Very Low gluten’ as <100ppm in foods with cereal ingredients that have been specially processed to remove the gluten.

Neither, it is an auto immune disease where the body is intolerant to gluten and causes damage to the gut lining; customers with Coeliac Disease must avoid foods with gluten including wheat, rye and barley. See www.coeliac.org.uk for more information.

An allergy is the body’s immune system response to a food or allergen during which the body reacts causing swelling, inflammation or itching; during a severe allergic reaction or ‘anaphylaxis’ the symptoms are more severe and can cause breathing difficulties or even death. Whereas an intolerance causes unpleasant symptoms usually in the digestive or respiratory system, but it is not life threatening.

Allergy UK advise to give adrenaline without delay if available via an adrenaline pen; call an ambulance and tell the operator it is anaphylaxis; lie the person flat (or sit if they have breathing difficulties) and stay with the person until medical help arrives. For more information click here

In food production if after a thorough risk assessment there is a likelihood that cross contamination may have occurred in relation to allergens, manufacturers are recommended to include precautionary allergen statements (PAL) as a voluntary statement on packaged food.

Best practice recommends caterers to include this in their allergen information so customers with allergies can make an informed food choice on the food they are eating. For more information on Precautionary Allergen Labelling (PAL).

Only used approved suppliers and request allergen information from them. It is recommended to have a purchasing policy in place that includes the requirement to notify you of changes in recipe/ingredients and substitutions made in deliveries. Make sure you update your staff and keep your allergen information accurate and up to date.

No, but these are the ones you need to supply information for in the food and drink that you serve. People can be allergic to other foods and you must be able to prepare their food safely. Check all the ingredients in the dish as well as sauces and garnishes and ensuring that cross contamination does not happen .

A Food Hygiene Rating is given in accordance with the Food Standards Agency Brand Standard and there are 3 scores being Food Hygiene Practice, Structure (including Equipment and cleanliness) and Confidence in Management (CIM) which make up the rating.

The CIM score is a judgment on the ‘likelihood’ of satisfactory compliance in the future and includes your food safety management procedures and control of critical points including allergen management controls.

Individual scores in each of the 3 areas and cumulative score will give you a rating from Level 0 (Urgent Improvement) to Level 5 (Very Good). Display of the FHRS rating is not mandatory in England but is highly recommended for customer assurance and confidence.
For more information click here.

  • Act on any advice given and comply with enforcement action
  • Keep all your documentation up to date and make sure it is available onsite when you are trading
  • Ensure all your staff are fully trained to do their jobs and update this regularly
  • Ensure regular internal audits are carried out to check procedures are being followed and to help you identify when things are going wrong a to continuously improve standards

Yes, but only if there is an imminent risk to health, for example, an active pest infestation or gross contamination. A Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice can be served immediately to prevent you from continuing to trade and then an Order must be obtained from the Magistrates Court and served on your business. The order can only be lifted once the risk is considered to have been removed by the Environmental Health Department.

This is a defence often used by food businesses who are being prosecuted in which a Food Business Operator must demonstrate that they have done everything they can to make sure their food is safe. Due diligence documents can include monitoring forms such as completed hot food temperature records, fridge temperature records and cleaning schedules.

No, staff who handle and serve food must receive training and supervision in line with their work, in other words ‘suitable training’, however no formal certificate is required but this would provide such evidence if it is required.

No, as long as you are visually checking for pests then there is no requirement to have a Pest Control contract in place, however if there is a likelihood of vermin activity in or around your food business a Pest Control contract is recommended with regular visits and treatments if required.

Yes, to comply with legislation you are required to provide a documented FSMS identifying the risks of contamination (including allergens) within your business and identify critical control points e.g. storing chilled food below 8°C; monitoring controls and corrective action if something goes wrong.

‘Safer Foods Better Business’ was introduced by the Food Standards Agency to help small businesses, such as cafes and delis, to comply with this requirement. Lower risk businesses still need to provide food safety information but would need only provide pre-requisites or standard operating procedures e.g. hand washing, cleaning etc. to demonstrate compliance.

Local authorities follow a code of practice which is risk based in relation to the method of handling, processing, number and type of customers at risk etc. in a food business; it takes into account the FHRS rating scores, usually this will be 12-18 months but could be as frequent as 6 months depending on significant risk within your business, for example, use of a Vac Pac machine.

You do not need a licence as such, but you need to register your food business to comply with legislation, you should register 28 days before you start trading and failure to register is an offence.

Acrylamide is a substance that forms when carbohydrate rich foods such as potatoes, bread etc. are heated to high temperatures and has been identified as being a cancer risk. Food Business Operators are required to put control measures in their Food Safety Management System to manage this risk. Click here for more information on Acrylamide Legislation.

Firstly, find out if they still have food poisoning symptoms e.g. vomiting and/or diarrhoea and recommend that they go to their GP to give a sample (Environmental Health Departments can also do this), this is then sent to a lab for presence and identification of the food poisoning bacteria.

The results of the sampling is given to Public Health England and a local investigation may be carried out to attempt to try and identify the source of the food poisoning bacteria It is important that you fully cooperate and provide any information requested as part of this investigation. If there are any other similar or connected cases this could result in formal action being taken against you.

Food businesses are required to signpost their customers, via a menu, chalk board or on a sign, to their allergen information which can be given orally or documented. It is recommended to document the 14 identified allergens on a matrix or chef cards which are available from www.food.gov.uk